Shepherd’s Pie is a quick and easy one-dish meal. This version is a bit different than traditional recipes, due to the cheddar cheese soup. Our family especially enjoys this dish with a bit of shredded cheese added to the meat filling.
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1 16 oz. pkg. frozen mixed vegetables
- 1/3 c. water
- 1 11 oz. can cheddar cheese soup
- 1/4 tsp. thyme
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2-3 cups mashed potatoes leftover, instant, whatever
- Cook ground beef and onion in skillet until meat is browned; drain.
- Add vegetables and water. Simmer, covered, for 10-15 minutes, or until tender.
- Stir in soup, thyme, salt and pepper.
- Transfer to 1-1/2 qt. casserole dish. Top with mashed potatoes. Bake at 375 for 30 min. or until hot.
I have been looking for the Shepherds pie recipe for along time. Thanks for posting it now I can try to make it.
I think you’ll enjoy this recipe, Rita! You could even freeze half of the meat mixture (without the mashed potatoes). Then you could get it out later, heat it up, and put the mashed potatoes on top. Works great!
Judy, I love that I can print your recipe off! I also added to my recipe box.
Doesn’t that make it nice? 🙂