One of the best parts of fall is the abundance of freshly picked apples. I love to visit our local fruit farm and load up a couple bags to bring home–the apples from the grocery store just don’t compare.
While my kids love Gala apples, my favorite variety is Cortland. I have yet to find an apple that can top the Cortland variety in flavor, juiciness, and versatility.
This Coconut Walnut Apple Crisp is one of my husband’s favorite fall treats. The addition of walnuts and coconut makes this recipe stand out from the rest.
Coconut Walnut Apple Crisp Recipe
- 5 c. sliced apples
- 2 Tbsp. sugar
- 1/2 c. rolled oats
- 1/2 c. brown sugar
- 1/4 c. flour
- 1/4 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/4 c. butter
- 1/4 c. chopped nuts
- 1/4 c. shredded coconut
- Place sliced apples in 8-in. round baking dish; sprinkle with sugar.
- In a mixing bowl, combine oats, brown sugar, flour, and cinnamon. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs; stir in nuts and coconut. Sprinkle mixture evenly over apples.
- Bake at 375° for 30 to 35 minutes.
Tips for Making Coconut Walnut Apple Crisp
- Be sure to use a variety of apples that cooks well. My top pick is Cortland, but I have also used McIntosh with good results.
- If you don’t have pre-chopped walnuts on hand, you can easily chop them by “mashing” them firmly with a fork.
- Don’t like coconut? Double the amount of walnuts in the topping. On the flip side, if you don’t care for walnuts, you can double the amount of coconut instead.
- Need a larger batch? Just double all the ingredients and bake in a 9×13 baking dish. You may need to increase the baking time by a few minutes.