This version of Stuffed Green Peppers is a bit different than the traditional method, since the meat and rice mixture is cooked before being added to the green peppers. This recipe is a great way to use pre-cooked ground beef from the freezer–just saute the onions while the green peppers are cooking, and finish the recipe as directed.
Stuffed Green Peppers
- 2 large green peppers
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1 15 oz. can diced tomatoes undrained
- 2/3 c. rice
- 1 c. water
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 1/2 tsp. dried basil
- 1/2 c. shredded cheddar cheese
- Halve peppers and remove stems, seeds, and membranes. Immerse peppers in boiling water for 4-5 minutes, until desired tenderness. Remove peppers from water and sprinkle insides with salt. Place cut side down on paper towels to drain.
- Cook ground beef and onion in skillet until meat is browned; drain. (OR Saute onion in skillet, then add pre-cooked ground beef.)
- Stir in tomatoes, rice, water, salt, pepper, and basil. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Cover and simmer mixture for 15-18 minutes, or until rice is tender. Add cheese to mixture; stir until melted.
- Fill peppers with meat mixture. Place in baking dish with any remaining meat mixture. Bake at 375 for 15 minutes or until heated through.