A timeline is a valuable tool to help children learn and visualize history. If you want to begin a timeline but don’t have enough space for a wall timeline, you may find that a timeline notebook would be a great option for your family.
Supplies Needed to Make a Timeline Notebook
While there are a variety of ways to make a timeline notebook, I recommend four basic supplies:
- Three-ring binder
- Page protectors (optional)
- Printable timeline pages
For specific recommendations and more details, see this list of my favorite timeline notebook supplies.
How to Make a Timeline Notebook
1. Print the timeline notebook pages for the dates desired. I highly recommend one-sided printing, so that the timeline pages can be pulled out and laid end to end for a great visual picture of history.
2. Insert pages into page protectors (or simply punch with a 3-hole punch if you prefer not to use page protectors). Put timeline pages into the binder.
- If you are making one large timeline notebook covering all of history, you may want to use dividers to separate the timeline notebook into historic periods.
- Include a pencil bag at the front of the binder to hold supplies: colored pencils, scissors, and timeline figures that are waiting to be added to the notebook.